Catan is a board game for 3-4 people recomended for +10 years old (in its basic pack). It has some prizes like:
Spiel des Jahres (game of the year) in 1995.
Origins Award (best science fiction board game) in 1996.
Games Magazine Hall of Fame in 2005.
It was invented by Klaus Teuber, and nowadays there are more tan 4 expansions and you can play with 4-5 Friends if you buy the 5-6 ampliation. It is translated to +17 languages.
1. It is a board game not really expensive (40€) if you think about the relation Quality/Price. Even that, sometimes it has a little discount on its Price, so I recommend you to wait for it.
2. You will enjoy it if you like building, watching your empire growing up and prospering.
3. A game lasts only 45 minutes, so you can play lots of them or one before having lunch.
1. It is mainly based on luck, so you won't feel like better player after playing 50 games, you could lose against somebody who ha played 5 games.
2. It has not a versión for 2 players, so you have to be more (in the Basic Pack)
3. There are some figures in the box, but if you lose one of them, you can't order only this piece again, you have to buy them all. So the figures are just the necessaries ones.
There are five products (wool, wood, bricks, wheat and ores/stone) and five places where you can produce them. This production places have a designed number and they only make the products when somebody gets this number on the dices. Everyone rolls the dices at the begging of their turns. Once in your turn, you can build whatever you want with your materials but it must be connected to a road. A village symbolizes 1 point and a city 2 points. There are some "specials ways" to get extra points. The first person who achieve 10 points wins the game. Everything is better explained in the rules book.
I have personally played this game and I had a great time with my cousins. It makes you develop a strategical mind and you have to surprise your opponents to win. So I give it a...
They know me as Carlos.